If you have a septic system at home you will know its complexities. As you know it is challenging for you to handle a septic tank full of water when it rains. Your lawn needs a proper drainage system, when the tank is full then what to do? To answer this question isn’t easy, still, we are going to guide you.
We have gathered a lot of information to handle septic tank problems. Most of the people are fed up with the septic tank system. Why? Because they don’t have enough knowledge about the septic tank. They are unaware of the ways to drain water from septic tanks even in heavy rain.
In this article, we would point out those techniques that can handle septic tanks full of water.
Your lawn gets flooded if the way to the septic tank is blocked ( we often don’t care about this) As a result we face flooding in heavy rain.
What is a septic system?
You can define a septic system in such terms. “The septic system is a system that owns tanks and its relevant parts to handle water drainage effectively.” A septic tank has an inlet (for the house waste materials) and outlet ( to drain groundwater).In this system, you need to make sure the septic tank filling with water otherwise you may face trouble in heavy rain. Anyhow, you use a transfer pump (if the septic tank is at a high position from the ground rainwater).
The Signs of a Flooded Drain Field?
To solve a problem we need to check its symptoms. The same is the case with a flooded drain field. As you know it is often difficult to decide the cause of flooding around the septic tank. There are two main causes of a flooded drain field. Blocking of the route towards the tank or insufficient capacity for water in the tank. You can conclude the issue if you notice the following points regarding septic systems.
- The bad smell around the septic tank is a sign of a bad water drainage system. As you know standing water smells irritating.
- The mushy or spongy ground around the septic indicates a fault in the septic system. The reason behind this mushy ground is the excess of water(that can’t drain well )
- Incredible toilet odor also guides you towards the bad drainage system of water.
- The slow movement of water towards the septic tank (If the ground is smooth)is the alarm towards flooded drain fields.
What’s about septic tank maintenance
If you want to maintain the septic tank full of water ready when it rains, you need sufficient knowledge. Your tank must handle heavy rain all the time. If you find any fault within the septic tank you need immediate repair. There are three stages in which you can manage your septic system effectively. Those who want to get rid of this issue need to pay attention to the following three points.
- Prevention before rain:
Preparation is a half-battle. If you want to keep the rainwater away from your house lawn then you need preparation for it. You can permanently cure this headache with the help of some important points (given below).
- Keep the lawn neat and clean all the time.
- Don’t throw the garbage, baby’s diapers, and paper near the septic system because it can cause clogging.
- To treat the bad smell don’t use such chemicals that endanger the decomposing bacteria. Try to avoid such toxic chemicals if possible.
- You can plant such shrubs, trees, grass, and even flower. It will not only absorb the excess water but will provide an aesthetic feeling as well.
- Ensure water flow towards the tank. You need to create a slope for this purpose toward the tank if possible.
- As you know if the soil gets compacted then it fails to absorb water.You must decrease the traffic near the septic system and avoid driving too.
- How to treat septic tanks during rain?
You can’t say that our septic system is out of danger now. There is still the possibility of flooding during rain. You can’t do much while raining. Anyhow certain prevention will boost up your water drainage. If you have an idea about the following points.
- Don’t waste extra water when there’s heavy rain
- Don’t use excess water in excess for washing clothes and dishes. Because soil won’t absorb much water in heavy rain. As a result, you will increase the water logging level
- Avoid draining septic tanks in heavy rain. Due to water flooding, the septic tank will float over the water surface. In this way, you can destroy the whole system.
- What to do when the rain subsides?
You can describe it within a single sentence “preparation for next rain”.When the rain stops you need to take some steps immediately. In this way, you will be fully prepared for the upcoming raindrops.
- Direct the family to reduce water use for some days because the ground will be unable to absorb the rainwater immediately. It may take some days to dry.
- Clean the clogged area towards the septic tank. If you ignore cleaning it you may face a flood more danger than the first one.
- Try to provide the best environment for the useful decomposer bacteria. If it decomposes the waste material near/in the septic tank you can welcome the heavy rain every day.
How to install a septic tank?
If you want to install a septic tank keep in mind some points
- You can install it yourself but if you contact the expert it will provide better results.
- If your house is a tiny one then you can install a tiny septic tank for rainwater storage.
- You can bury a septic tank underground from 4 -inch to 4 feet deep. It depends on the type of tank and the nature of the ground.
You can follow the following steps to install a septic tank.
- Check the tank well to search for damage.
- Dig a hole according to the size of the tank.
- Ensure the drainage fall. You can move it until proper drainage is expected in heavy rain.
- Install the inlets and outlets
- Ensure good ventilation to avoid the odor of water. Good ventilation is also good for decomposer growth.
How to treat flooded septic tank while raining
Someone posted on social media “septic tank flooding with rainwater I need the advice to please” As we have already discussed when the rain starts it is quite challenging for you to treat flooding. When the rainwater turns to flood in heavy rain we can’t do much because we don’t detect the original problem. Anyhow when the rain starts we can take certain steps immediately to ensure drainage of water.
- First of all, you need to clear water drainage clogging. It is common that after some time there is a 70% chance of clogging in septic systems.
- A septic tank full of water needs to be watched, especially when it rains.
- You can beat the ground flood if you are in contact with the septic system expert. He will guide you if you don’t have enough knowledge.
- Sometimes we use pumps to drain water but its side effects are greater than the advantages. e.g If you are not an expert you can damage the tank( it will not be useful anymore).
- Try to reduce water usage at toilets and washing dishes. In this way, you can solve ground flooding problems up to a considerable range.
- You can deal with a septic tank in a natural way when it rains if you give time to the tank for drainage.
Can you pump a septic tank in the rain:
As you know, pumping isn’t an authentic solution to flooding while raining. However, you can pump it if you know the essentials or if you are an expert. You need to be careful because you can damage it. Then what to do? In this case, you can’t do anything besides waiting.
If you give time to the ground to dry you can effectively solve the problems. Most people use different chemicals to dry the water but with this, we can only destroy a septic system. As you know piping will cause damage to the tank and chemicals will destroy the decomposer bacteria. The only possible solution is to reduce water usage. We must use as little water as possible at home. In this way, you will give the possibility for groundwater to drain well.
To wind up the whole discussion I would like to say “septic tank is a challenge if it is full water”. So, we hope that you can overcome the septic system-related problems if you read this attentively. A septic tank full of water will be useful when it rains if it drains groundwater well. Overall this system is useful for rain floods. We hope you can find the solution to many problems within this single article. If you are satisfied with your septic tank still don’t miss invigilation after some time. Your care for a septic system will keep you safe from huge investments.