Running is a way of life, so you’re going to do it whether it’s sunny or raining. The problem is that running in the heavy rain without adequate clothing can be dangerous. Wearing a jacket can be helpful, but you can’t wear a random one. Rather, you need to make sure that your jacket won’t reduce your speed. Simply put, you need to look into the best rain jackets for runners. They’re quite useful because they allow you to run no matter what the weather is like.
Using a rain jacket while running can help you improve speed and stamina and can help you get ahead of the competition. It can be frustrating to train hard every day, only to lose to someone not as talented as you. Luckily, the best rain jackets for running can help prevent that from happening. You will also avoid postponing your runs due to poor weather. We have done significant research to find the best rain jackets on the market, given all the benefits. Our list only has jackets that are suited for runners!
- The North Face Men’s Resolve Waterproof Jacket
- READY FOR RAIN. The Resolve 2 Jacket is a versatile, waterproof shell that features a stowable hood and has enough style for everywhere, from the trailhead to the town.
- WATERPROOF FABRIC. Made with DryVent performance tech, this waterproof, windproof and breathable jacket delivers cozy comfort for casual nights or adventure days. Easy to care for and wear, you'll love the effortless look and feel anywhere you go.
- STANDARD FIT. With a flattering shape and ample mobility, this jacket is perfect for easy wear or layering up. Whether for a casual look in town or active days in the wilderness, you'll experience freedom of movement through the shoulders and chest.
- OUTDOOR VERSATILITY. Never Stop Exploring with thoughtful features that help you go further — stay protected with a hook-and-loop closure storm flap that covers the center front zip and keep your items safe with a secure-zip chest and hand pockets.
- TAKE ON THE DAY. An essential closet staple, this jacket is a go-to classic for hiking, training or just kicking back. Pair it with your favorite joggers, pants or shorts and proudly wear the badge of exploration with The North Face.
After many hours of research, we have managed to discover one of the highest quality rain jackets for runners. The North Face Men’s Resolve Waterproof Jacket has many features that would enable you to play sports regardless of how rainy it is, although it is specially designed for runners and the like. It has blended features, though, which means that you can use it for hiking, skiing and several other sports as well.
It has an attached hood that’s adjustable which would help protect your body from water during rain. What’s more is that The North Face Men’s Resolve Waterproof Jacket has a nylon finish that’s modified with durable water repellent, making it perfect for all types of rainy weather. It comes in a standard fit design, but its elastic cuffs and adjustable hem allow it to fit the contours of your body quite accurately.
- Completely waterproof
- Lightweight and durable
- Versatile, suitable for all environments
- Available in 22 different colors
- Only comes in standard fit
- Slightly expensive
- Columbia Women’s Adjustable Waterproof Rain Jacket
- COMFORTABLE RAIN JACKET: The Columbia Women’s Switchback III Waterproof Rain Jacket is a lightweight waterproof rain coat designed to keep you perfectly dry.
- ADVANCED TECHNOLOGY: This light rain jacket features our waterproof Hyrdroplus 100% nylon shell designed to keep you dry and protected in even the hardest of downpours.
- MODERN CLASSIC CUT: When the weather is on the edge, this is a universal rain jacket great for everyday use, with a clean feminine cut and comfortable range of motion. How to measure Use a soft, flexible tape measure from a sewing kit. A metal tape measure from your toolbox or a yard stick may give you inaccurate readings
- PROTECTIVE HOOD: Pull it out or stow it back, the adjustable stow-away storm hood will keep you comfortable and dry in the midst of a downpour. Stow-away hood. Center Back Length: 25 Inches
- HANDY FEATURES: Completely waterproof, adjustable cuffs, drawcord adjustable hem, two zippered hand pockets, and the whole jacket packs down into its own pocket for easy toting.
The Columbia Women’s Adjustable Waterproof Rain Jacket is made of nylon and polyester, which are waterproof materials. This jacket ticks all the boxes from a rain protection perspective, and the polyester lining also makes it suitable for chilly weather. An added advantage is that it is machine washable, which is quite convenient because it can save you time.
Another thing that we loved about the Columbia Women’s Adjustable Waterproof Rain Jacket is that it is designed to be easy to put on and take off. The adjustable drawcord hem allows you to loosen and tighten the jacket based on your body type, and the zip design is suitable for waterproofing and ease of use. You can store this jacket in a pouch or a bag quite easily, thanks to how small it is when folded up, so this is a very portable product that you can take wherever you go.
- Water repellent
- Machine washable
- Great for everyday use and comfortable range of motion
- Adjustable drawcord hem and cuffs for a customizable fit
- Not suitable for heavy rain
- Arms can be a little tight for some
- Charles River Apparel Women’s Rain Jackets For Runners
- 100% Polyester Polyurethane (3.98 oz./yd2)
- Printed Plaid taffeta lining for a high fashion feel
- Wind & waterproof with heat-sealed seams for weather protection
- A line silhouette in eye-popping colors
- 2-way zipper for freedom of movement and full-length wind flap for protection from the elements
Zip positioning is a major factor to consider when buying a rain jacket. One of the biggest advantages of the Charles River Apparel Women’s Rain Jackets For Runners is its double side zip closure. It allows you to open or close the jacket from both sides, allowing for easy removal if it ever gets too warm.
We also appreciated this jacket from an aesthetic perspective. The striped design is quite attractive, but these stripes are not just meant for show. The Charles River Apparel Women’s Rain Jackets For Runners uses reflective stripes so that you would be visible to passing cars. That makes running at night with this jacket easier, and the polyester material makes it quite warm. Nighttime runs can be quite relaxing, so it’s great that this jacket helps you take them with ease.
The underarm vent in this jacket provides great ventilation, although it should be noted that you can’t machine wash this product. It needs to be hand-washed, which can be a slight inconvenience, but we feel like the pros greatly outweigh the cons.
- Heat-sealed seam
- Breathable and comfortable
- Highly recommended for a perfect fit
- Great design to keep you dry during heavy rain
- Zipper can sometimes get stuck
- Columbia Men’s Glennaker Lake Jacket For Rain And Wind
- WATERPROOF TECHNOLOGY: You’ll love our Columbia Men's Glennaker Lake Rain Jacket, it features our Hydroplus waterproof nylon fabric for the ultimate in lightweight, wet weather, protection and comfort.
- COMPACT AND PACKABLE: A versatile waterproof jacket with an attached hood to ensure complete rain coverage, while its packable design lets you stow it away into its own chest pocket. Perfect for when the last drizzle subsides.
- HANDY FEATURES: Featuring a convenient stow-away hood, zippered hand pockets, adjustable sleeve cuffs, and a drawcord adjustable hem locks in the dry and keeps out the wet.
- VERSATILE FIT: This rain jacket features a timeless, versatile fit, that's perfect functional rainy-day wear.
- BUILT TO LAST: Columbia’s attention to detail is what sets our apparel apart. Specifying only the highest quality materials, expert stitching and craftsmanship. This is a long-lasting jacket you will enjoy for seasons to come.
Some brands use fancy terminology to make their gimmicks seem more useful, but you don’t have to worry about such marketing tactics with the Columbia Men’s Glennaker Lake Jacket For Rain And Wind. While its hydro plus technology might seem like a random gimmick, it provides functionality in the form of keeping your body as dry as possible.
The Columbia Men’s Glennaker Lake Jacket For Rain And Wind is one of the best jackets if you want to stay dry during heavy rain, and it’s also remarkably portable, thanks to how light and packable it is. It might be hard to believe, but you can store this jacket in your breast pocket, too, if you fold it up enough and remove the detachable hood and side pockets. The jacket also comes with a classic drawcord hem and elastic adjustable cuffs that serve as an effective water barrier.
- Compact and portable, perfect for hiking
- Versatile fit
- Keeps you dry
- Could be more breathable
- Only for moderate temperatures
- CARP Women’s Packable Windbreaker Jacket For Running
- High Waterproof --- made of 100% Polyester, very waterproof in light rain, durable and quick dry. if in Heavy Rain, suggest wear an umbrella.
- Good Lightweight --- you can take it to travel and sport, even as the casual fashionable jacket, one sweet gift for mom, wife, friends
- Very Soft and Packable --- it improves in high technology, more soft than other raincoats. so you can carry it conveniently. Lightweight sun protection soft shell coat can be packed into a small water repellent bag
- Adjustable --- adjustable hem with elastic clasp & cuffs with moderately loose elastic, keep the chill out and comfortable
- High Visibility --- reflective elements on back, allows to run/cycle freely and safely in the night; Perfect for outdoor sports wearing including running, jogging, riding
Any jacket that protects you from the rain that you can also wear casually is a winner, in our opinion, and the J.CARP Women’s Packable Windbreaker Jacket For Running is great for both purposes. Its polyester material offers warmth and protection in the freezing rain, and some would say it is well suited to London’s frigid, rainy winters! What’s more, is that this jacket doesn’t sacrifice aesthetics for functionality. Rather, it embraces aesthetics by using a fashionable and attractive design.
In our research, we discovered that the J.CARP Women’s Packable Windbreaker Jacket For Running is perfect for light right, but it can be suitable for heavy rain as well. It has a soft feel to it which is far more comfortable than your average running jacket, and it keeps you pretty warm, which is a major plus point.
It comes with a handy waterproof handbag for storage, and it folds up neatly into a small bundle. The jacket also has lots of elastic that provides a comfortable fit for all body types. What’s more is that the reflective strips are a huge advantage safety-wise, and this jacket’s numerous features make it great for all manner of outdoor games.
- Lightweight, easy to carry
- Suitable for cycling and running
- Comes with multiple handy pockets
- Not fully waterproof
- Nike Men Best Rain Jackets For Wind Runners
- Water-repellant coating helps you stay dry in light rain
- Woven fabric is smooth and durable
- Mesh lining gives you lightweight breathability
- Shoulder piping inspires a classic soccer look with a clean finish
- 100% polyester
The great thing about this jacket is that it comes in lots of different colors. That helps you pick out a version that best suits your style, and it has quite a stylish streak on one of the panels, which help make it unique. Stylistically the Nike Men Best Rain Jackets For Wind Runners is a great option, but don’t let that make you think it doesn’t have any practical advantages.
The lightweight fabric is resistant to light rain and wind, and more importantly, it’s extremely breathable. That makes the Nike Men Best Rain Jackets For Wind Runners suitable for both warm and chilly weather, which is quite a decent level of versatility.
We need to talk a little more about the ventilation technology in this jacket because it’s ventilated from the back and the front. It also comes with scuba hoods and goggles, so you know you can use it in the rain. The goggles especially are a nice touch, and with so many features, you might as well try using this product at the bottom of the sea because it’s so good at keeping water out!
- Comes with scuba hoods and goggles
- Breathable, impressive ventilation
- Machine washable
- Very expensive
- Nike Women’s Sportswear Wind Runner Lightweight Jacket
- Moisture Wicking Properties
- Inspired For Running
- Drawstring hood
- Front zip closure
The Nike Women’s Sportswear Wind Runner Lightweight Jacket is a prime example of how efficient design can lead to great products. Nike is a well-known brand, so suffice it to say that most of their products would be worth looking into. This jacket is particularly notable because of the Taffeta fiber that’s used in its design. These fibers come with a water repellent finish, which means the Nike Women’s Sportswear Wind Runner Lightweight Jacket is both durable and water-resistant. It’s unlikely that you’d feel a single drop of water on your skin, thanks to these outstanding features.
With an adjustable back hem and a paneled hood, the Nike Women’s Sportswear Wind Runner Lightweight Jacket allows you to protect your entire body from wind and rain. It also comes with two hand warming pockets that are perfect for preventing frostbite, and they also come in handy if you want to store your belongings.
- Mesh lining provides good breathability
- Stylish design
- Adjustable hem and paneled hood
- Features don’t live up to the asking price
- GEEK LIGHTING Men’s Waterproof Rain Jacket
- 🌦HIGH-TECH WATERPROOF SHELL - Professional waterproof coating and seams are fully sealed and welded with TPU membrane,As a result,it guarantee a long-lasting isolation of water droplets and effectively preventing water molecules from entering.
- 🌩ADVANCED WIND-RESISTANT TECHNOLOGY - Wind resistant fabrics and innovative construction limit the amount of wind that reaches your body, keeping you warmer and allowing you to stay out on longer.
- 🌧COMFORT&LIGHTWEIGHT&WARM - The interior layer is a breathable, printed membrane that actually wicks moisture to keep you comfortable when the weather is warm as well as wet. polyester ripstop fabric provides strength with minimal weight.
- ⛈️HIGHLIGHTS - Protect yourself from the elements with this lightweight jacket. This wind and rain resistant polyester jacket with a detailed embroidery design has a practical hood, and zipped pouch pocket.
- ⛅APPLICATION An essential and relaxed-fit outdoor & travelling insulated jacket for year-round use.Ideal outfits for Sports,Hiking,Mountaineering,Camping,Rock Climbing,Cycling and other winter outdoor activities.
Nylon is a great material for waterproofing, but it can sometimes reduce breathability. Luckily, the GEEK LIGHTING Men’s Waterproof Rain Jacket manages to balance breathability and waterproofing whilst incorporating nylon in its design. Nylon is a very lightweight and breathable material, and this jacket boosts its waterproofing by providing a polyester lining. It’s a very smart design that’s well suited to the requirements of running in the rain.
The GEEK LIGHTING Men’s Waterproof Rain Jacket comes with an assortment of features including detachable hood and stand collar. You can use these add-ons if you require extra protection, but if it’s every too warm for a hood and collar you can take them off quite easily. The centered zip is easy to access, and this jacket even comes with two hand pockets as well as a chest pocket with a zip.
- Lightweight and breathable
- Durable polyester design
- Detachable collar and hood
- Might be a tight fit for some
- Only for chilly and moderately cold weather
- Nike Women’s Essential Packable Running Rain Jacket
- Slightly tailored fit through the waist
- Water-resistant, durable fabric with filling for warmth
- Elasticized waistband with drawstring
- An Amazon brand
Sometimes all you need is a simple but effective rain jacket, and if that’s what you’re looking for then the Nike Women’s Essential Packable Running Rain Jacket will be right up your alley. It lived up to most of our expectations with its easy to reach side pockets and good ventilation thanks to its open pleat. The pleat is a smart way to improve ventilation without letting in any water.
One of the best aspects of the Nike Women’s Essential Packable Running Rain Jacket is that it is packable. That’s useful because you never know when you might need it. Just because it’s sunny outside doesn’t mean that it won’t rain suddenly later on during the day. The lightweight nature of this jacket means that carrying it around with you would be easy, and you can keep it in case it rains unexpectedly.
- Lightweight, can be kept on hand in case it’s needed
- Water resistant
- Smartly placed pleat vent
- Only available in one color
- A little expensive
- Charles River Apparel Pack-N-Go Wind &Water-Resistant
- RUNS BIG. Style runs big and is oversized for women. We recommend sizing down one size for an oversized women's fit and sizing down 2 times for a more "true to size" fit.
- SO CONVENIENT. This rain jacket pullover effortlessly packs away into its own front pouch pocket, for fast, easy, and compact storage. A perfect piece of outerwear that you can always keep on hand. Great for traveling.
- MULTIPLE OPTIONS. Available in a wide array of appealing colors. A portion of the sales from the jacket in pink are donated to Charles River Apparel's charitable "Be Pink Proud" program, supporting cancer-related initiatives. It is also perfect for monogramming by an online or your local monogramming service. School groups, sororities, sports teams, spirit wear...the possibilities are endless.
- COMFORTABLE QUALITY. A blend of many fine details has made this rain jacket such a big seller. Features include underarm grommets, to provide proper ventilation, elasticized cuffs, and an open bottom hem with a shockcord drawstring, for a flexible and customizable fit. The hood also has adjustable drawstings, to effectively seal out wind and rain. The jacket zips halfway down, and features a front zippered pocket, and a front pouch with open sides.
- EXTENSIVE SIZE RANGE. The pullover does run large therefore you may want to order a smaller size.
Bulky jackets might create more resistance while running, but that’s not necessarily a bad thing. In fact, it can be great for improving stamina in some situations, and the bulkiness can also help improve waterproofing. That’s the case with the Charles River Apparel Pack-N-Go Wind &Water-Resistant. Despite its bulk, it provides extra resistance from heavy rainfall and is surprisingly easy to move around in.
The Charles River Apparel Pack-N-Go Wind &Water-Resistant comes in a wide range of colors, so you can choose whichever one you like. It’s also suitable for track teams because they often need to have uniform color schemes to identify themselves and create a unique branding look. The jacket also comes with an underarm vent that significantly improves breathability, and its elastic cuffs and drawstring hem further enhance its comfort levels. It has an adjustable hood which is quite convenient, and the zipped pocket in front and additional side pocket provide ample storage space.
- Machine washable
- Available in a wide array of colors
- Several pockets
- Slightly bulky
- Sleeves are a bit long
- Bpbtti Men’s Soft Shell Cycling Running Rain Jacket
- 【Nice Windproof Jacket】Bpbtti Men's Windproof Cycling Jackets are perfect for windy days. You can ride comfortably in 45 ̊F-70 ̊F weather with a long-sleeve shirt underneat. We recommend one or two size up than your winter jackets of local brands.There are chest measurement chart in inches for your reference.
- 【6 Multi-Pockets】 The shell includes：1 zippered front chest pockets， 2 invisiable-zipper hands pockets,3+1 zipper rear pockets.This bpbtti winter jacket will satisfy all the items you dream of carrying.
- 【 Low Light Visibility 】Bpbtti’s men's bike jacket with reflective brand logo.Cuffs, back shoulder,rear reflective prints keeps you safe in darkness. Perfect for cycling, running, hiking or other outdoor activities.
- 【WARM UP and BREATHALBE 】Soft brushed fleece interior retains body heat and warm in the winter and autumn, will bring an unprecedented wearing experience. 100% Polyester material to maximum the air ventilation, wick moisture, and makes sweats dry quickly.
- 【 Kind Notice】1.Wear it in the weather around 45 ̊F-70 ̊F. It suitable for light rain, please use professional raincoat during moderate to heavy rain. 2.Cycling jackets for men are tighter than kinds of casual jackets. If you are used to wearing a thick jersey inside, please order 1 or 2 size up.
The primary advantage of the Bpbtti Men’s Soft Shell Cycling Running Rain Jacket from a waterproofing perspective is that it is designed with long sleeves. That means water can’t enter through the cuffs, which might be a frequent problem in other jackets. Another massive advantage to using this jacket is that it has six separate pockets, which is more than enough space for all of your belongings. Some might say that the number of pockets is excessive, but in our experience, you can never have too many of them!
The Bpbtti Men’s Soft Shell Cycling Running Rain Jacket uses a brushed fleece lining to retain body heat and keep you warm naturally, even in freezing weather. It also has a sound ventilation system that can cool your body down by helping moisture escape. That means that this jacket is suitable for both hot and cold weather, and this level of versatility is a plus point that makes this product a great buy. We’d also like to say that this jacket is quite stylish so you can wear it on your run and put it on casually while going out.
- Breathable and reflective, perfect for night time runs
- Six pockets for multi-storage
- Luxurious design
- Neon zips improve visibility
- A little too snug for some
- Only comes in two colors.
- ARSUXEO Winter Warm UP Cycling Rain Jacket
- 85% polyester+15% spandex.The fabric consists of three layers that keep you warm and dry. The top layer on the exterior is a rugged windbreaker surface that beads up moisture and prevents stains. The second layer is a waterproof breathable membrane film,and the third layer is a nice soft warm fleece.
- Drop tail and elastic hem provide a precise on-bike fit,keep you warm in winter,Reflective elements on front and back add contrast to enhance nighttime visibility
- Two pockets for storage inclde one front zipper pocket,Longer cuff design for extra coverage of your wrist,keeps the cold air away from you.
- Stretch inserts for optimum fit,mobility, and air circulation(this part no windproof and waterproof).
- Please read our size chart carefully before order,for this jacket many customers said the size runs small,so now we changed our size and disign,more close to US size,but maybe still runs a litte small.
The material that a jacket is made of can have a substantial impact on its functionality. In the case of the ARSUXEO Winter Warm UP Cycling Rain Jacket, the material used is comprised of two substances, namely polyester, and spandex. 85% of it is composed of polyester, whereas 15% is spandex, so you get adequate water protection along with superior flexibility and form-fitting thanks to the spandex.
It also uses triple-layer fiber technology to improve durability and comfort, and the outermost layer acts as a rain repellant and windbreaker. It makes water droplets bead up instead of absorbing them into the fabric, which means that you won’t get the slightest bit damp on your run. The middle layer has a thin film that acts as a breathable membrane, and the innermost layer, which can also be called the lining, provides warmth.
All of these features make the ARSUXEO Winter Warm UP Cycling Rain Jacket a highly superior rain jacket, and it’s made even better by the presence of reflective stripes, which make you more visible in the dark. The front and back pocket round up this jacket’s features, although the long sleeves add a lot of aesthetic appeal thanks to how the cuffs look.
- Three layers work perfectly together
- Precise fit
- Longer cuff offers extra wrist coverage
- Reflective elements on the front and back
- Zipper is not slightly fragile
- Only suitable for winter, too warm for summer
How to Choose the Best Rain Jackets for Runners?
Don’t worry if you’re unsure about what rain jacket you should buy. Things are not as complicated as you might initially assume. Breaking things down into a few important factors can simplify matters greatly. Here are some factors you should consider.
For starters, try to ascertain the temperature of the area that you’re running in. For example, if you’re about to run in an area prone to cold weather and heavy rain, buying a waterproof rain jacket is essential. Alternatively, suppose you’re running in an area with a more temperate climate where rain can be unpredictable. In that case, you might want to buy a water-resistant jacket as well because they’re resistant to precipitation but are also lighter than waterproof varieties. The weight of the jacket is another factor to consider. Remember that sometimes heavier jackets are better because they can increase resistance during training.
2. Distance/Duration of Run
Another factor that you should consider is how far you want to run and its duration. It depends on your stamina, but say you can manage an hour-long run or walk daily. In that case, we would recommend that you buy a fully waterproof rain jacket. That’s because the likelihood of you encountering rain increases the longer, and further you run. It would be best if you also tried to buy a lightweight jacket so that you don’t get overly tired while running such long distances. Waterproof jackets usually have efficient zip systems that prevent water from getting in, and if you buy something lightweight, there is a good chance that no one would be able to catch up to you on your run.
What’s the Difference Between Waterproof and Water-Resistant?
There is often some confusion between these two terms. Many people use them interchangeably, but that’s not quite accurate. There are certain similarities between waterproof and water-resistant products, but the differences between them are important to consider. The main difference is in the level of water that each type protects you from.
A water-resistant rain jacket can handle drizzling and light rain, but it’s not suitable for heavy rain or snow. One advantage of water-resistant jackets is that they are lightweight and can be used in sunny weather too. That makes it more versatile, best suited to areas with moderate to chilly weather and occasional rainfall.
On the other hand, a fully waterproof rain jacket can handle heavy rain and even snowfall under certain circumstances. It’s perfect for people that want to run in cold areas that see regular rain and snow. These types of jackets are made to be breathable as well so that they absorb your sweat effectively.
Frequently Asked Questions
1. How can I run in the rain?
Running in heavy rain is easy if you have the right jacket. Said jacket needs to have adequate water resistance, and it should have an added layer for warmth as well. Finding the right jacket can take some time so make sure you look for the right one.
2. Is water resistant the same as waterproof?
These terms are similar but there are certain key differences. Waterproof means that there is no way that water can penetrate. Water resistant means that there is some protection from water penetration but to a lesser extent.
3. Should I go for water resistant or waterproof?
It depends on your needs. Waterproof jackets are useful in areas that see a lot of rain. You will always need protection from water in such areas so getting a waterproof jacket is essential. However, waterproof jackets are bulkier and warmer than water resistant ones. Areas with chilly weather and occasional rain require water resistant jackets instead. Water resistant jackets are also lighter which helps make running somewhat easier.
A good quality jacket can make a real difference to your fitness goals. The key to running for better health is to do it every day, and avoiding it because of rain is not a good excuse. Buying a jacket that is resistant to rain can help you get fitter faster because you won’t have to skip a workout if the weather is bad. Any of the jackets from our list will work wonders for you because they represent the cream of the crop.