The sound of the rain can be relaxing and pleasing to the ears, and that might make you want to go and take a walk outside while it’s drizzling. However, muddy puddles are an inevitable byproduct of rain, and you might step in them and get your shoes dirty. You can use rubber boots that are easy to clean, making it possible to jump in muddy puddles, something that lots of children tend to enjoy, but the real problem occurs when you try to walk back into your home.
You might leave muddy footprints and the like when you do so, and that would be pretty frustrating. After all, you likely dedicate a lot of time and energy towards keeping your home clean, and having to deal with muddy footprints would make matters worse. That’s why we recommend buying top-quality outdoor mats. Thanks to their coarse texture, you can scrape the mud off of your feet with these mats. That prevents any dirt from the outside world from entering your home at any point.
Outdoor mats are also helpful for when you have guests because your guests can use them to clean up their shoes and avoid tracking dirt that you might have to later clean. Check our list of the top ten outdoor mats for rain below, but first, look through our buying guide.
Top Ten Outdoor Mats for Rain
- DII Indoor Outdoor Rubber Doormat That Drain Water
- YEAR ROUND DOORMAT: Durable recycled rubber doormat made to withstand...
- TRAPS DIRT: Tough rubber design effectively traps dirt, dust, grit,...
- QUALITY DESIGN: Durable rubber material provides nonslip stability...
- PERFECT FOR ALL ENTRYWAYS: Keep one at each exterior door such as...
- SEE MORE PRODUCTS FROM DII: To view more doormat selections search DII...
The DII Indoor Outdoor Rubber Doormat That Drain Water is one of the highest-rated doormats on the market, and it can be helpful if you want something made of rubber. Rubber is excellent because it’s pretty durable, allowing you to scrape your feet without worrying about damaging the outdoor mat. This doormat also comes with a wide range of other attributes. Such as its roughness which further improves its ability to scrub the dirt off of your shoes.
Optimized for dirt trapping and removal, the DII Indoor Outdoor Rubber Doormat That Drain Water isn’t just for mud. It also helps get rid of snow thanks to its excellent drainage system, ideal for colder climates. The hollow spaces allow water to flow out instead of getting trapped, which helps prevent the mat from growing mold. An added advantage is its beautiful design which gives the mat decorative capabilities. The fact that it uses recyclable rubber is significant too because it means you don’t have to worry about this product’s environmental impact.
- Stylish design, perfect for home decoration
- Perfect to trap dirt, dust, grit, mud, grass or snow
- Anti-slip backing construction makes it stay in place when wiping shoes
- Natural rubber with an anti-mould chemical for extra durability & longevity
- Adorable design with an affordable price
- Ready to work well in all weather
- Slight harsh chemical smell
- Might not be the right size for some
- CLIMATEX Best Outdoor Mat For The Rain
A notable feature of the CLIMATEX Best Outdoor Mat For The Rain is its diagonal texture which improves its ability to trap various particles, including mud and grass. These particles can ruin your flooring, so it’s great that this mat helps you get rid of them before entering your home. It’s also the ideal mat for several locations, including the workplace and garage, places that should be kept safe from moisture and heavy rain.
Another thing we like about the CLIMATEX Best Outdoor Mat For The Rain is its slip-resistant texture. Slipping while wiping your shoes can cause injury, but with this mat’s slip-free design, you wouldn’t have to worry about that. Also, this mat is easily washable, which is a bonus feature that many other rugs fail to provide.
- Easy to wash by hand
- Diagonal texture traps mud, water, sand, and dirt to keep your home clean
- Perfect for indoor and outdoor use
- Versatile, compatible with multiple locations
- Durable and long-lasting
- Somewhat narrow
- Slightly expensive
- Amagabeli Large Outdoor Door Mat For Cleaning Shoes
- SUPER HEAVY DUTY DURABLE MATS: This heavy duty doormat rug size is...
- FAST DRYING MATERIAL: The durable doormat is grass material, so it...
- NON-SLIP & 100% NATURAL RUBBER BACKING: The outdoor doormat comes with...
- EASY TO CLEAN & SCRAP DIRT: Simply vacuum with a hand-held vacuum,...
- PACKAGR TYPE & CUSTOMER CARE: Our outdoor doormat packaged lay flat...
Outdoor mats can be made with all kinds of materials, but what sets the Amagabeli Large Outdoor Door Mat For Cleaning Shoes apart is its synthetic polypropylene fabric which is highly suited to scraping mud. It’s superior to most other materials, making this mat considerably more durable than the average outdoor rug. This fabric also offers excellent moisture absorption, which is necessary for areas prone to heavy rain.
While that might make you think this mat requires extra cleaning, that’s not the case. This material isn’t just absorbent; it’s also quick drying. That means the Amagabeli Large Outdoor Door Mat For Cleaning Shoes won’t start to smell bad after absorbing moisture, as the moisture will evaporate in no time. The fabric is surprisingly easy to clean. You might not even need soap and water because a stiff-bristled broom would do the trick and get most of the dried mud off.
- Highly durable
- Highly absorbent, Fast-drying material
- Prevents slippage
- Easy to clean
- Smells like rubber
- Not as aesthetically pleasing as wicker
- Tire-Link Outdoor Quickly Dry Door Mat
- Heavy duty outdoor entrance mat made from recycled tires
- Carpet-like weave and open mesh construction absorb moisture and trap...
- Doormat's tough nap resists wear and retains its soft texture even in...
- Door mat rolls up for easy storage and cleaning
- 20" Width x 30" Length x 3/4" Thickness
Some outdoor mats use heavy-duty material to let you scrape dirt off your shoes, but that can make them heavy and cumbersome, which is not ideal for people that change houses frequently. The Tire-Link Outdoor Quickly Dry Door Mat gets around this by using innovative design instead of excessively bulky material. The tire-like material forms a mesh that helps scrape dirt off effortlessly, and it also improves the durability of this product.
The Tire-Link Outdoor Quickly Dry Door Mat is one of the best mats for frequent movers, firstly because it’s lightweight. Secondly, it can be easily rolled up, which lets you store it in small spaces. That means you can put the mat away when you don’t need it if you want to change the look of your home. Dust, mud, and dirt from outside can significantly damage your carpet, and using this mat can help protect it from such damage. However, this mat isn’t suitable for removing greasy or oily substances because it doesn’t have the same structural composition as textured rubber or wicker.
- Made with recycled tires
- Highly effective at removing dirt
- Unique design, great for out of the box home aesthetics
- Suitable for areas with high foot traffic
- Portable and easy to store
- Easy to clean
- Not suitable for oily or greasy substances
- Shoe Mat for Indoor and Outdoor Use in All Seasons
- VERSATILE UTILITY - Solve interior and exterior storage issues with...
- DURABLE BUILD - Entrust this indoor/outdoor mat to stand the test of...
- EASY CLEANUP - Rinse this shoe and boot tray off with clean water as...
- MESS FREE - Count on this indoor/outdoor mat to keep water, sleet,...
- PRODUCT DETAILS: Materials: 100% Recycled Polypropylene. Dimensions:...
Tray mats are some of the most popular outdoor rugs due to their perfect shape. The Shoe Mat for Indoor and Outdoor Use in All Seasons is designed to resist dirt and water, taking them off your shoes and leaving them clean enough for your home. The propylene plastic is impressive in its durability, and this mat is also easy to clean, making it a highly convenient product to purchase.
The essential advantage of the Shoe Mat for Indoor and Outdoor Use in All Seasons is that it’s long-lasting, which means one purchase can go a long way in this instance. The raised edge helps capture even more dirt, and it makes it easier to scrape it off without excess effort, and the 100% recyclable nature of this material lets you dispose of it quickly too. It comes in a wide range of sizes, and its plastic is relatively light too, which helps improve storability and portability.
- Suitable for outdoor and indoor use
- Environmentally friendly and free of chemicals
- Useful in all seasons
- Effortless cleaning
- Durable and long lasting
- Looks great
- Raised edge
- Slow to dry
- CLIMATEX Indoor Outdoor Rubber Scraper Mat
- RUBBER SCRAPER MAT: Corrugated ridges trap mud, water, sand, and dirt...
- INCLUDES: One heavy-duty, commercial grade 36 inch x 6 foot black...
- COMMERCIAL USE: Perfect for commercial entry mats, industrial floor...
- RESIDENTIAL USE: Place in your hall, entryway, or outside your patio...
- EASY TO CLEAN: Simply spray with a hose to remove dirt and mud from...
A significant aspect of outdoor mats is their traction, an area where the CLIMATEX Indoor Outdoor Rubber Scraper Mat excels. It provides superior traction and stability, so you won’t have to worry about falling over while scraping dirt off your shoes. That makes it perfect for outdoor use, but this mat can also work in an indoor setting. The rubber scraper boosts this mat’s dirt removal and moisture-absorbing capabilities, and it makes cleaning your shoes before stepping through the door efficient and convenient.
Also, this is one of the few outdoor mats suitable for both commercial and residential purposes. It’s highly suited to industrial floors and crowded areas. Most mats get worn out quickly if they experience heavy foot traffic, but this mat manages to overcome that spectacularly because it’s very durable and sturdy. As for cleaning, this mat needs a bit of high pressure. A hose can work, but pressure washing will be required every so often.
- Suitable for indoor and outdoor use
- Ideal for commercial settings
- Perfect for commercial entry mats
- Easy to clean
- Lightweight and durable
- Perfectly sized for the average door
- Doesn’t move once placed
- Somewhat difficult to clean
- Chemical smells takes a couple weeks to go
- Color&Geometry Indoor Outdoor Rubber Scraper Mat
- SOFT, NON-SLIP & DURABLE: Made of high-quality absorbent fabric, Color...
- ABSORBS MOISTURE AND DIRT: The fluffy and absorbent material catches...
- EASY TO CLEAN AND MAINTAIN: When the entryway rug gets dirty, just...
- LOW PROFILE & VERSATILE: Our indoor mats are thin and flat enough to...
- WARM PROPT: Since the door mat is packed by being folded up, it’s...
The Color&Geometry Indoor Outdoor Rubber Scraper Mat uses unique double layering technology to improve its moisture absorption rate vastly. That makes it an excellent option for high rainfall locales, as it’s well suited to take considerable amounts of water and dirt. If it ever gets too dirty, you can wash it with a hose, and it’ll look good as new.
The anti-slip design is another advantage of the Color&Geometry Indoor Outdoor Rubber Scraper Mat because it helps you avoid mishaps and accidents. Your feet stay grounded while you’re on this mat, something that your guests would appreciate.
Speaking of guests, this mat is great if you want to impress them. It comes with attractive and colorful geometric patterns that can blend with psychedelic or surreal interior design. The mix of polypropylene and polyester fibers makes this mat lightweight and affordable.
- Prevents slippage
- Washable design
- Quickly absorbs moisture
- Resistant to dirt and mud, ideal for home entrances
- Comes in four sizes and two colors
- Chemical free
- Fast drying
- Not very durable, fibers might come apart after consistent use
- PLUS Haven Coco Coir Door Mat That Doesn’t Hold Water
- COCO COIR DOORMAT: PLUS Haven welcome door mats are made of 100%...
- OUTDOOR AND INDOOR MAT: This floor door mat is designed specifically...
- ECO-FRIENDLY WELCOME DOOR MAT: PLUS Haven outdoor and indoor entrance...
- HEAVY DUTY LOW-MAINTENANCE DOOR MAT: This coco coir door mat will...
- A HOME DÉCOR ESSENTIAL: PLUS Haven door mat is a great...
A natural and organic design is always great in outdoor mats. The PLUS Haven Coco Coir Door Mat That Doesn’t Hold Water uses coconut coir fibers which are rough and textured, perfect for instant dirt removal. They also have a highly natural look which is great because it wouldn’t clash with your other decorations but elevate them. The most significant advantage of this mat isn’t its aesthetics, though. Instead, it has to do with how it deals with water.
The PLUS Haven Coco Coir Door Mat That Doesn’t Hold Water can remove moisture from your shoes, but it won’t hold any moisture. That makes the water dry more quickly, and cleaning this mat is quick and effortless because a vacuum cleaner can do the job. You can even wash this mat by shaking the dirt off because it stays loose on the surface.
- Uses natural and biodegradable coconut coir fibers
- Rough texture optimizes dirt removal
- Beautiful design
- Durable and high quality
- Doesn’t hold moisture
- Ideal for most weather conditions
- Relatively affordable
- Can be cleaned effortlessly
- Unsuitable for ice or snow
- Not for modern aesthetic preferences
- Durable Corporation – Heavy Duty Rubber
- Tiny fingers trap dirt while cleaning boots or shoes
- Constructed of heavy duty rubber
- Safety ramped edge traps dirt and debris in mat while preventing a...
- Use at outdoor entrances that receive heavy traffic
- Shake or hose to clean
You can tell from the name that the Durable Corporation – Heavy Duty Rubber is one of the most heavy-duty mats around, and that’s putting it mildly. It’s capable of withstanding extended rough use and has one of the most impressive lifespans of any of the mats we tested. This mat has a corrugated rubber tire pattern which facilitates phenomenal dirt removal, and it also makes it easier to clean the mat. That’s an example of intelligent design that we often don’t see with outdoor mats.
However, this mat might not be ideal for moisture absorption. You can scrape mud and dirt off with the Durable Corporation – Heavy Duty Rubber and much of the water might drip into its crevices from your shoes, but it’s not as effective for water as it is for dirt. Regardless, this is a heavy-duty, easy-to-clean mat, and it’s excellent if you prioritize cleaning off mud over water.
- Heavy duty and durable, lasts a long time
- Great for sports shoes with spikes
- Gets maximum dirt off shoes
- Withstands high traffic
- Shake to clean
- Surprisingly lightweight despite durability and sturdiness
- Comes in various sizes, versatile and multi-purpose
- Slight chemical smell which goes after a few days
- Unsuitable for high moisture absorption and heavy rain
- Delxo Magic Doormat Absorbs Mud In Rainy Weather
- ABSORBENT FRONT DOOR MAT: Lock down moisture and debris, ensuring your...
- DURABLE and STURDY DOORMAT: Our doormats stays in place for as long as...
- SLEEK LOW PROFILE ENTRYWAY RUG: This door rug measures 24x 36" and...
- EASY TO CLEAN MACHINE WASHABLE MATS: This easy to clean rug is machine...
- UNCONDITIONAL RETURNS: Buy with confidence! If for any reason our...
If you’re confused while searching for a suitable doormat, the Delxo Magic Doormat Absorbs Mud In Rainy Weather is the answer to all your questions. It uses a unique blend of cotton and microfiber to provide outstanding results. The natural and soft materials mean this mat absorbs all the moisture from your shoes and makes them spotless even if they were covered in mud. The rug also feels soft, which makes it comfortable. You can use it indoors due to its soft texture.
The low-profile nature of the Delxo Magic Doormat Absorbs Mud In Rainy Weather helps prevent snags and allows you to open and close your door easily. What’s more, is that it can help your pets stay warm in the winter if they curl up on it to sleep! Bear in mind that this is not a machine washable mat. The fibers might get ruined if you use a washing machine, so you might need to put in some extra effort while cleaning it.
- Luxurious look
- Perfect for indoor use
- Suitable for barefoot users and pets
- Highly absorbent
- Cleaning requires extra effort
- Not as durable as other materials
How to Choose the Best Outdoor Mat for Rain – Buying Guide
There are a lot of factors to consider when choosing an outdoor mat based on its material. It should ideally be waterproof, so rubber is a popular choice. Another thing to keep in mind is that your outdoor mat should be quick drying. Your shoes will be pretty wet after you’ve been out in the rain, so you must ensure that your mat can help you dry them before you enter your home. Indoor mats are usually made of rubber, whereas outdoor mats sometimes use rougher material such as wicker.
2. Easy to Clean
One thing you need to realize about your outdoor mat is that it will get dirty rather quickly. That’s understandable when you consider that people will be wiping their feet on it. However, it also means that your outdoor mat should be easy to clean. The products we have selected are easy to wash, with some being machine washable. The most important thing is for the material to be conducive to cleaning. That can save you a lot of stress in the future because you wouldn’t have to worry about it looking dirty and spoiling the look of your home.
There are two aspects of outdoor mat size that you should consider. The first of these is the width and length. Ideally, your mat should be large enough for two average-sized feet to settle comfortably on it. Another way to look at it is that the mat should be approximately 80% the width of your door. Even more important would be the thickness of your mat, as this would determine how much moisture and dirt it can take. It would be best if you bought the thickest mat possible because this would make it more durable and convenient.
This is an often underrated factor when deciding on an outdoor mat. Smooth mats won’t do you any good from a mud and rain perspective. On the other hand, a rougher texture makes the mat more capable of scraping dirt off of your shoes. You would also be able to get done cleaning your shoes more quickly if your mat is rough enough. However, bear in mind that if your mat is too rough, it might be too difficult to clean. Try to find a balance between the two so that you can get optimal shoe cleaning without making it difficult to wash the mat when the time comes.
Frequently Asked Questions
1. Why do I need an outdoor mat for rain?
The outside world contains a lot of dirt, and you wouldn’t want this entering your home. An outdoor mat allows you and everyone else to clean your feet before you come inside. That prevents any mud or dirt from tracking on the floor.
2. Should my mat be waterproof?
A waterproof mat might be a bad idea, because waterproofing might make the mat too smooth to be useful. Mats with a rougher texture aren’t as waterproof, but that’s partly why they’re so effective. They can absorb dirt and water from your shoes before you step into your house.
3. How do I clean my outdoor mat?
All you need to clean your outdoor mat is a rough bristled brush. Scrape against the mat with the brush to release any dried dirt or debris. Scrub it hard to make sure that all of the dirt comes out, then use soapy water to finish the job.
4. Which mat should I buy?
It depends on your preferences! Just make sure you buy something with the right size and texture, otherwise you might not get the results you’re looking for.
An outdoor mat is a must-have for people living in rainy areas. They can help you keep your home clean with less effort, and you can also use them during the warmer summer months! Kids should be able to go outside and play in the mud without having to worry about tracking mud indoors, so if you have children, you should consider buying an outdoor mat right away. Our list can help you avoid confusion while making your purchase, and if you want to learn more, just skim through our buying guide to make buying the right outdoor mat easy.